Tuesday 3 April 2007

THE ONE DAY OF MADNESS

Time is a strange element. It has the power to deceive, stopping during moments of danger and sorrow, and running through moments of happiness or safety. And yet, on its own, it has passed through from the time the universe has started till now at a same pace.

It’s what Einstein proposed: Time is relative. Therefore, relationships that happen within time are also relative. It may mean different things for different people. Perceptions differ. And so do the emotions that come with those perceptions.

And hence, I have discovered that the most fascinating time-frame is of a day: 24 hours. The speed with which perceptions, emotions and relative actions change within this time period is quite absorbing to observe.

Before this turns into a science and psychology class, let me begin with this strange tale of ONE DAY. It seemed to be like any other day; but it was unusually hot. Yes, and that was enough to drive me round the bend. I hated heat. Little was I aware that the day would only bring more heat… of a different kind.

After the early morning ablutions, I was all set and ready to leave for work, when I received two missed calls on my mobile phone. The numbers were unknown. I called back on both of them, and in both cases, the receiver would pick up the phone, but not say anything. I wondered whether these were two different people who called, or whether it was the same person making two different calls. Logic said it would have to be the latter, but life’s experiences had taught me that ANYTHING was possible.
Thinking about this, I drove to work. It was possibly a crank call. GOD! I almost had an accident thinking about it. DAMN! Why was I thinking about those stupid calls? It was just a joke, a practical joke. Right? I mean, who was stupid enough to call me twice at 8:00 am in the morning?? Oops! There goes a headlight! Or, who are those TWO people playing pranks on me? Ah! Scratched the side of my car! WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME??

I finally reached office by 9:15 a.m. after leaving home by 8:45. A journey that generally took me 15 minutes everyday, today took me half an hour! And the best part is, I didn’t realise until I got a rollicking from my boss for being late. See the effect of time and thinking? You get lost in thoughts and go into a time warp.

My desk was as untidy as the day before. As I sat down to begin the days proceedings, my female colleagues, Smita and Rita came and sat by my side. They wished me in their usual sweet, sing-song way. And as has been the routine for the past 6 years I had worked here, they began with their daily reports, and work to be done today. These would be interrupted sporadically with some of their own personal problems and situations that face them in their daily lives. I was like an AGONY UNCLE to them, so to speak.

After that, when they dispersed, I sat down to work. Suddenly a thought struck me, like a bolt of lightning. It was an open secret in the office that both these ladies… well… both these ladies LOVED me (LOVED me or had something else in mind I don’t know). They had even proposed marriage to me on separate occasions when I was a fresher in the office. Both were bitter rivals (in this respect) and had even challenged each other as to who would FINALLY get me. Sadly enough for both of them, I had interest in neither one. And like all FAMOUS love stories, this one died a natural death.

Or so I thought. Those phone calls were still lingering in my mind. NOW they assumed more significance. I hadn’t told anyone about them yet, because I knew the obvious response that I would get. Two missed calls, one after the other, and my past history with these ladies was actually sufficient enough to prove that they’d done it. Why, after 6 years, I don’t know. Heck, I wasn’t even sure if it was them! But...

I went about office that day like a cat on a hot tin roof. And the worst part was I had to work with them! Checking out reports, searching files, analysing content… it had to be the three of us! The entire office kept a ‘motherly’ eye over me (please do not ask me what that means!). And they always came with me in this form: Smita on my left and Rita on my right. Our first assignment was to finalise body copy for a print ad for a cold drink company (Oh sorry! In all this ‘thought process’ I forgot to mention that I work in an ADVERTISING AGENCY as a copywriter…)

We were taking unusually a lot of time over this. When I finalised an idea given by Rita, Smita would oppose and vice-versa. I finally lost my cool on them and finalised the copy. Both of them went away unhappily, staring at me. I feel that they give me looks all the time. The entire office was smirking. It was like HATE BOTH GET BOTH FREE offer. It was abominable! I was feeling like a complete ass today (yeah it’s happened before, but today took the cake!)

3 hours to finalise advertising copy over two ladies. Boss was at his HARI SADU best, again (for those who don’t know what HARI SADU is, well, he is the synonym for the TYPICAL BAD BOSS… got it now?) and as I was getting it nicely, those two ladies kept supporting me! Oh God this was bad. The entire office was there, and I was the centre of attraction. They even took turns to pat me on the back, or catch my hand (EEKS!). I wondered how much I was going to pay for those missed calls.

All this happened, and then I took a look at my watch. It was only 2 p.m.! Oh God no! I had to spend at least 3 hours more with those two. And they would be with me the whole time. I just couldn’t stand it. As I went to get some coffee from the vending machine, I overheard one of their spats. It was the usual you-stay-away-from-him type of spats. They spoke something about a cell phone, and something about calling.

I was returning to my desk, and froze in my tracks. Stay-away-from-HIM? CELL PHONE? CALLS? I slapped my head and realised that they were actually speaking about ME!

I then decided what I had to do. This had to stop. NOW. Before any more damage was done.

I took what then seemed to be as probably the biggest risk in my life. I went up to each of them (separately, of course!) and proposed my love to them (YUCK!). They were supposed to meet me at the restaurant next to the seaside, by 6:00 p.m. For good measure, I told each one not to tell the other.

This, surprisingly, drew different reactions from each of them. Smita was happily shocked, and she kept asking me as to why I hadn’t told this to her earlier, what happened to me now, etc. I managed to cook up some story about HIDDEN FEELINGS and things I had probably never even dreamt about. She seemed happy, and readily agreed. Sad she didn’t know what was in store…

Rita surprised me. She was more sadly stunned rather than happily shocked. And she couldn’t ask me anything. It was like she had lost her power of speech. (Serves you right for troubling me you…!) She was fumbling for words and in the end, she just managed a weak ‘yeah, I’ll catch you there’ kind of response. I patted her on the head and said everything will turn out just fine. Oh yeah, it would.

Those hours until 6:00 p.m. flew like a rocket. I was lost in my work, and I also managed both of them very well. Then at around 4:30 p.m. both of them left. I stayed on until about 5:30 to complete the tasks for the day. That way there would be nothing pending for tomorrow. Or would it be appropriate to say that there would be NO TOMORROW?

5:45 p.m. I reached my destination. But I didn’t go to my table. I waited in hiding for the two ladies to arrive. Smita arrived first, and I must say, for the first time ever in my life, I felt that she was actually looking pretty! (Then the voice inside me said, MAKE-UP! MAKE-UP!)

I then waited for Rita. It was the longest wait of 10 minutes I’d ever had. At 6:00 p.m. sharp, a waiter appeared with a letter for ME and delivered it to Smita. He kept it on the table. This was a slightly worrying turn of events. No Rita, just a mysterious letter, and Smita looking around.

She couldn’t resist herself could she? The letter was in her hands, and she was going through the contents.

What I then saw shook me up completely. Smita was on the verge of tears, and trembling. She screamed loudly in the hotel, and VOWED TO KILL ME.

I went blank for ten seconds. It felt like ten years. Smita rushed to the beach. I rushed out after her.

“SMITA!!” it was probably a stupid thing to do at that time, but I was worried to death. I needed to know what was happening.

She turned around, and gave me the most frightening stare. I worked up the courage to walk up to her and ask what was happening.

A resounding slap. Yes, and this time I felt as if I deserved it. She questioned my intentions. She questioned a lot of things. I sheepishly said that I just wanted to teach them a lesson. I wanted to play one against the other. I told her of the missed calls and the days events.

Another one on the cheek. The enmity between them was actually over the time I rejected them both. They had got on with their lives. And in fact, Smita had gotten over me. Rita was the one who was slightly inclined towards me. I felt like a complete jackass (again!). Rita in fact had gotten hooked up with a bad guy. Smita was trying to get her away from it (that explains the STAY-AWAY-FROM-HIM thing). And… they had not made ANY calls to me in the past 6 years.

Then I read Rita’s letter. Oh God, she still loved me. But her infatuation for this BAD guy had gone too far, and she had promised to marry him. She couldn’t make up her mind, and she couldn’t handle the pressure. She decided to commit suicide by drowning herself.

I ran towards the shore, screaming out her name. So did Smita. We saw a crowd gathered at a part of the shore. The worst thoughts were running through my mind. I ran towards that crowd. There lay Rita, unconscious. She was breathing, though only slightly. We rushed her to the hospital.
We reached the hospital by around 7:00 p.m. Time had gone slow again. Smita was still giving me those smouldering looks, and muttering something like, ‘if anything happens to her…’

That night, at the hospital, Smita opened out to me. She was indeed angry, but seeing me also concerned and quite tense, she realised that I was not so bad after all. She spoke of how they softened their stance against each other, and how they became really good friends. Rita, it seemed, always had something for me, but some guy (who Smita suspected was into DRUGS) swept her off her feet. Rita was quite like that, a small child who could be easily influenced. Smita was the more practical of the two.

The doctor came out at around 11:00 p.m. and fortunately, there was nothing much to worry. Rita had just swallowed a lot of salty water, and was pinched by a crab. No other damages. She just needed a good nights rest. So did Smita. So did I.

I don’t know when I went to sleep, because I remember getting up directly at 8:00. I had slept on one of the benches. Smita had slept on my shoulder. I tried to get up without disturbing her, but she got up too. We were about to go and meet Rita.

“You must marry Rita. That’s the only way she’ll be able to overcome this trauma. And THAT’S how you will atone for your sins!” She spoke like a true woman of justice. “What about you?” I asked. Smita said, “I USED to like you once upon a time… now… I’d be better off single!” I managed a weak smile, and thought to myself… Rita truly loved me… every other girl I had flirted with was only after my looks or my money… but I was still confused about Smita. She knew what I was thinking, “Don’t worry… you know that I’m a strong girl… you raised my hopes briefly yesterday… but Rita deserves you more than I do… she truly loves you… and if you try to wriggle out of this, I am going to kill you.” She smiled as she spoke. It was chilling calmness. “Go get her tiger!”

I entered the ward, and popped Rita the question. She wasn’t aware of my plan the day before (thankfully!) and she readily agreed. We hugged, and I felt a special kind of warmth in that hug. We got married within that hospital ward itself! The priest was called for the ceremony, and Smita was our witness.

And today, after 5 years of marriage, and a good healthy kid, the three of us were together and were thick friends. Rita had matured, and was a lot stronger than before, while Smita only grew in stature. She was to get married herself in a couple of week’s time.

But one question still lingered in my mind… WHO ACTUALLY GAVE THOSE MISSED CALLS?? I still had those numbers with me on the cell phone…

Smita came from behind and saw my blank face. I wanted to ask her about those numbers.

Before I could say anything… she said, “Tiger, those calls were made by me… in case you’re wondering.”

Somehow, she could always read my mind. ALWAYS. And she had read it even when she made those calls…

2 comments:

radhika said...

usual story in an unusual manner!

radhika said...

usual story in an unusual manner