Saturday 31 March 2007

THE 'LIFT' OF LIFE...

Monday morning, 9 a.m. The usual rush, the usual grumbles. I was on my way to office, with the thoughts of the early morning fight with my fiance fresh in mind. As any 'NORMAL' girl, she was suspicious of me having affairs with the damsels in my office. Sigh! When will these girls grow up?

My office was on the 10th floor. We had a wonderful contraption known as the elevator, which was so human! It had its mood swings! And it was always in a bad mood on Monday morning. Always going out of order and leaving poor old souls stranded for about an hour or so. The authorities were efficient enough not to do anything about it, despite repeated complaints. Fortunately, by some strange quirk of fate, I never had to face it's moods. We were good pals by now.

And yet, I entered it with a prayer on my lips, as I always did for the past 7 years.

Eureka! It was working... it hadn't failed me even once. The entire office was jealous of me for this very reason.

As I whistled my way up the levels, the elevator stopped at the 5th floor. Two of my good-looking (and I MEAN good-looking!) female colleagues just walked in. And just as I was feeling good about the world (with the two beautiful ladies), the lift stopped in between the 7th and 8th floor.

My worst nightmare had come true. The power had gone off. Everything went dark. I could hear only deep breaths and worried whispers. As my hand groped around for some buttons to push, I felt that I was pushing SOMETHING ELSE, as I got loud screams and constant whacks on the head. How these girls find the target in the dark, I just don't know!

Apology was of no use. Neither was asking them to calm down. Dealing with one terrified lady is bad enough, and here I had two! I even tried the good ol' male charm and wittiness, but to no avail. Finally, after an hour of exhaustion, all 3 of us fell flat on the lift floor. My world went dark after that. No sound, no light.

Funnily enough, I didn't realise when the lights came back on... because the next thing I remember was being in a hospital bed, with a letter of dismissal in one hand, and my fiance's ring in the other!

Then I heard a heavenly voice - THE LAW OF AVERAGES HAS FINALLY CAUGHT UP WITH YOU MY SON!

Fortunately I was qualified enough to get another job. But it took me 3 years. Why, you ask?

You don't think I would accept a job that was above the ground floor, do you???

And yes, I'm still searching for a girl who would marry me.... anyone out there interested? But no LIFTS PLEASE!

2 comments:

Anirudh Menon said...

Nice... well written

I Am Nikhil said...

the suggestion.and the writing, it gets better :)